HOUSING PERMITS SUMMARY
Please fill out the form to download the insights on Housing Permits - Potential Impact on Building Material Demand
Housing permits are just one input of the multiple variables monitored within Principia’s residential BuilderSeriesSM data service. Principia compiles data from the U.S. Census Bureau throughout the year to stay abreast of industry trends, identify shifts in the market and update our BuilderSeriesSM tools.
Combined with multiple other data streams including direct voice of the customer insights Principia provides accurate geographic demand for building products down to the zip code level.
The 2015 housing permit update covered five observations impacting building product demand:
- Total permits increased on a national level from 2014 to 2015
- Recent permit demand has been concentrated in the Southeast and West Coast
- Multifamily units grew at a faster rate than single family units
- Several states experienced the largest growth in both single and multifamily sectors
- Several counties consistently rank highly in both total permits and year-over-year growth